The Chickin Feed Primer
a useful companion for modern families
A really, really useful companion. The vintage stylings of our Primer remind us of times when decisions about food weren’t so difficult. When folks ate REAL food, grown locally (before it was in fashion) and their cars didn’t resemble dining rooms.
We wanted to put simple, helpful information about lots of healthy subjects in one book so here it is!
• Our Nutrition Chick – Emily C. Harrison, MS, RD, LD has the first chapter about…NUTRITION of course because it is so important for families to have at least a grappling of nutrition knowledge. Building a Nutritionally Literate Generation starts here!
• Our Editor Chick, Michelle Newcome (who advises some of Atlanta’s top restaurants on how to set up their kitchens) put together this fun and helpful “nouveau Betty Crocker” BUILDING A NUTRITIOUS KITCHEN chapter, chock-full of pantry, shopping and kitchen tips, tricks and suggestions including some really fun stuff from mother hens around the city.
• We’ve got some really yummy RECIPES by Chef Chick, Sheri Davis (a popular Atlanta chef, restaurant owner, caterer and mother of two big boy chickins) Simple recipes arranged by meal of the day and including a breakout of which Feed Groups each recipe includes. Won’t you try: Sweet Potato Hash & Eggs; Cinnamon Spiced Millet with Peaches & Craisins; Marinated Noodles with Veggies & Peanut Sauce; Flatbread with Carmelized Onions, Red Pepper & Goat Cheese; Mango Salsa with Chips & Veg; Asian Stir Fry; Roast Pork Loin with Black Bean and Corn Quinoa; and Flourless Chocolate Cake with Fresh Raspberries to mention a few! Check out our FEED FUN page for some of these recipes too!
• Followed up by some cool OLD-SCHOOL P.E. moves by our Head Yard Bird, Coach Randy Brookins – an elementary school teacher and former coach that brings P.E. moves into the home! Try the Pantry Parade, Chickin Wings or Frozen Chickin Duel.
• One of our favorite chapters is DRAMACIZE by Drama Chick, Amy Handler a popular creative movement teacher and radio DJ. Dramacize is kind of like a workout for your imagination, teaching chickins to pretend in 3-D! These are really great active imagination games that can even be played in front of the TV, helping with dinner or on a road trip!
• Finally we’ve given some tips & tricks on GETTING EVERYONE ON BOARD so that you have some ideas for how to deal with the other folks that influence your chickins eating habits like grandparents, schools, sitters, etc. And there’s some great RESOURCES in the back so that you can find more good info once you’ve exhausted your Primer!
142 pgs with real tape binding! Published 2008 by The Chickin Feed Press. Printed in Anderson, SC.